The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Thursday, July 07, 2011

New York, Ragnar Race, Cousins, 4th of July, Sundance, Wildwood...and a tad bit more!


Wow! It has been a very long time. This post might be the longest post in the history of this blog. If you make it through, congratulations! If you don't, no worries. Before I started to "create" it I had to take deep breaths...I don't like being so behind because the catch up terrifies me!:) Enjoy!
We have been busy! As soon as our yard was complete we got ready for our trip to New York for Kyle's final assessment for Manhattan GMAT and a nice little break together. First we had to say goodbye to these kiddos. I made them little fleece blankets before we left and they loved them. Luke helped pick out his the week before and every day asked how many more days until we would leave--he just wanted us GONE so he could have his new blanket!:)

Isaac had the hardest time saying good bye and kept running up the stairs for one last goodbye...crying each time. It was hard to say bye but he had a good time with the babysitter Michelle:) Thanks Michelle, you did awesome!!
We took red eye to New York City and the first thing we did after dropping our luggage off at the hotel was catch a ferry and meet up with my sister and her husband.
You can play eye spy with this picture....
I spy a large and in charge lady!
(look closely in the distance)
We actually didn't go to the statue of liberty, just passed by it on our way to Ellis Island.
It was so interesting to visit Ellis Island and we really enjoyed learning more about the people who traveled to America during that time period. It was sad to see how run down the building used to be and some of the stories of the families being separated for months and sometimes forever was unbearable!(because they would be sent back to their country because of disease or in some cases, mental illness) My sister took some great pictures. I stole these from her blog.
After Ellis Island we walked all around the City.
We visited a nice church graveyard.
Alexander Hamilton is leasing space next to him!!
Another star sighting!
I would really like to know how much money he made!
We thought the way they did their garbage was interesting!
The door to our hotel.
I wish I got a picture from the front. This little man had a quirky smile on his face as he took his bird for a walk in china town.
Hmmmm...some of us do not obey street signals. My sister and her husband and Kyle ditched me!
Some sights and smells of New York
We saw Mary Poppins! Two thumbs up!
There were some nice parks, and some not so nice parks.
A nice park we visited was built on an old abandoned railroad, called the High Line.
An elevated rail built in the 1930s but had since been abandoned and left in disrepair. What a bit of brilliance to turn it into an elevated park! When it is finally finished, it will be a mile and a half long. It's 3/4 of the way done.
This is what it looked like before:and now...
Great views...they even have stadium like seating look out points!
great views from all directions!
And while we were there we had a Star sighting!!
Do you recognize him???
Think law and order and kidnapped.

We also witnessed a break up...yes those are two men. One was crying. So sad.
We had some of the BEST Chinese food with my aunt and uncle. After we tried to take a picture with the temple church behind us...but of course it was too dark.
while I was busy being sick in my apartment (yes I was very sick one of our precious days in New York...barely made it to Mary Poppins the night before) Jenny and Bruce walked around and got these pictures which I love.

New York reminded me of a bigger Chicago. In many ways it made me miss our Chicago home. We had so much fun in New York and especially because we got to meet up with these awesome people! Thanks Jenny and Bruce for hanging out with us! And thanks for all the pictures!

We came home to these cute people and this adorable sign.
We got the kids hats and shirts from NY
To get Oliver to keep his hat on, we had to hold his arms:)
cool dudes
and cute dudes
Before we left for New York we got the kids treats and prizes for each day that we were gone. The bug catchers from the dollar store were a HUGE hit!
In between NY and Ragnar we decided to wash everything in sight! The kids loved it!
Sometimes Ruby relaxes on the couch because she gets to have her binky:) This is before Church one morning.
A few weeks before NY Oliver learned to crawl! After a few days after that he was standing at furniture and cruising. Maybe he will walk before his birthday in 2 weeks? But I doubt it. Our kids walk at 14 months.
he also learned to do this!

And then there was the Ragnar Race....I have very mixed feelings about Ragnar...but so this blog stays positive I will just say...
I LOVED the girls that I ran with. I LOVED the first day before the sleep deprivation hit. I LOVED the 2 dollar hour nap on the high school GYM floor. I LOVED the food that Brenda prepared for each van. I LOVED when the whole thing was over.
BUT I will NEVER EVER EVER run the Ragnar again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea why this picture was suggested but lucky you!!
The winners circle
Luke is so rich. A picture of his bank for your enjoyment.
Including...American money, Other country money, Large diamond ring from a center piece at a wedding reception (we haven't checked to see if it is real yet), plastic gold pirate money, and chuckee cheese money!

I'm getting lost on my own blog...where were we?
OH YA! Oliver turned 11 months...

AND Cousins! We have been spoiled by cousins.
First my sister came up with her kids. She dropped a couple (joined by my nephew Justin) at EFY and then we partied with the youngers all week.

The EFYers (Justin's friend on far right)
Justin decided to "blink" on purpose for both of my pictures so I took one with JUST him.
He is so lucky to have such a nice aunt.

Ruby loves her cousin Ivy so much!
They are about 6 months apart...I think.
We love our Wildwood cabin. It is near Sundance and it is the perfect mountain spot for the kids and adults!


Cute Oliver and Carter. They are 5 months apart.
enjoying some otterpops!
Looking at the snake.
(shortly after the snake decided to bite Tyler:(
Smart Ruby decided to watch from inside the cabin.
I asked Luke to swing for the picture...he thought I said SCREAM!
He figured it out though.

Tuesday morning we were the first ones up and had fun trying to keep our kids quiet outside (it is soooo quiet and peaceful at 8 am in the mountains!)
Have you started to notice a trend in Luke's pictures? He likes to strike poses. I didn't even include all of them in this post. I usually get upset with him because he "ruins" the picture but I have recently decided that it is a cute phase that I don't want to forget so when we say "smile" and he strikes his pose, I will just let him be.
We visited Sundance with my brother Benjamin and his family and my sister Lisa and her family. It was terrifying to ride the ski lift with the kids and I wondered why!? We have done it before! And then I remembered that we forgot to buy them all Sundance lollipops beforehand! We survived and only dropped one water bottle and a hair bow on the way up. We did a little hike and then made it back safely to purchase our suckers.

Sunday night we took a nap on my floor--on one side of the room.
And on the other side we partied hardy! It was fun to have everyone over for Sunday dinner.
Oliver's first trip to Wildwood cabin
He loved watching the raging waters (it used to be a quiet small stream in the back of the cabin but with all the rain and the melting snow off the mountain is it very high and scary!) He also loved the hammock.
Oliver and cousin Amelia. So cute! Oliver LOVES her. When he sees her he wants to be next to her or on the ground crawling around with her. They are only 6 weeks apart!


The morning of the 4th of July we did a flag raising and breakfast with our neighborhood, went on a bike ride/run and did three hair cuts...all before 10 am!
Oliver thought we were a little too productive and thinks we could have done without his haircut.
It was so hard for me for me to let Kyle cut his long hair...but it was getting too hot in his helmet.
Then we headed to the cabin for this picture:)
Then drove to midway for lunch, a dance competition, and fireworks.Oliver's cousin Amelia taught him to crawl in grass (he hated the texture) and before the night was over his hatred towards grass had turned to love!After watching the dance competition, we had a little dance party!
Luke decided to walk the bleachers instead.
Dance trio Nathan, Issac, and Charlie
Lighting off our own fireworks!
Ruby liked throwing the pops the best and Oliver had a death grip on Kyle whenever he was near fire. We all had a good time!
After the fireworks, Luke and Eliza danced in the rain.Monday night we spent the night at the cabin and then headed to the waterfall.
Ruby couldn't understand why Eliza put her head in the FREEZING cold water!
Eliza loved it!
the fun trio
Even Oliver had a good time!
Me and my buddy Luke
My sister Anne and her baby Amelia
Isaac
Luke and Betsy
We loved it and some of us cried when it was time to go home.

BUT the fun didn't stop! We had fun on the swing and then Kyle took the kiddos on the three bears hike. It's quality has decreased over the years as you can see. I went on this hike when I was a little girl and there was this old man who always took care of it and put candy at mama bears kitchen. He has since passed away and now nobody takes care of it. It is sad but the kids still manage to hike it and have fun.

Ruby loved riding her scooter at the cabin.
Wednesday we took a trip to BYU to let the kids pick out treats and tour the campus.
Oliver dropped his sucker and Amelia picked it up for him.
The kids played in the fountain...I don't think they were supposed to.
Afterwards we went out to eat at the Brick Oven. I took this opportunity to take a picture of my LITTLE brother Brian. I haven't seen very much of him in the last couple of years and it was nice to see him even though I would have liked to see the REST of his family:)

Yum!
Sweet Ruby!
Me and my sister Anne
My sister Anne and I
Ruby hiding...again
Recently Ruby has decided that taking pictures is much more fun when she doesn't smile, hides her face, or runs away. It is hard work getting her picture! Fortunately, for this lovely photo shoot, she was stuck on a tree!

Ruby ignoring the camera.
Ruby running from the camera
She is fast!
Congratulations!
You made it to the end! See ya later!

BUT I don't know when...the last month has wiped us out!

FOUR sleeping kiddosMy TURN!

11 comments:

Kyle Widdison said...

Wow - no wonder things have been so busy - we've done a ton.

I tried to steal a quick look at post at work, but it's far too long to read :) I'll catch up on it later...

Maquel said...

I ran the Ragnar Relay, too! What number runner were you?

Poppy said...

So much fun! Dyl is at the same phase of strinking poses in pics. Can't wait to see you guys in a few days.

seven smiles said...

Whew! I made it to the end!
Loved all the pics. :D

Lark said...

Wow, that was an exciting month! Congrats on the Ragnar - I'm so proud of you for running it - I won't even sign up.
And Mimi has that strawberry shirt from Target too...its her favorite - she wears it all the time.

Sabrina O'Malley said...

Never a dull moment around the Widdisons. Hope the rest of your summer is just as fun but perhaps a bit more restful.

Jill said...

That was a super post! You probably would get a super sticker to beat one of the super villians on Cedric's super chore chart :) Great work Widdisons. I'm jealous Brian got to go up and visit with everyone. Miss you.

Liesl Shurtliff said...

Wow, what adventures! We'll be back in Chicago next week so come visit us any time! We've got space!

mad white woman said...

My week was similar to this one... cousins, Sundance, Bridal Veil Falls... you'd think I was in Utah. ;)

larainydays said...

Now that is what I call a POST! It made me feel rather exhausted for you, especially the Ragnar Relay. My brother and sister in law run that here and they are just as crazy as you. It's fun to have Brian and Jill in our ward!

The Fillmore Family said...

Wow! That was some post. By the way, you are a really, really cute girl. I tried not to remember how sick you were when I looked at your pictures of New York but I kept feeling badly for you. The pictures of the kids were so fun. If someone wants to gather pictures together to make a Cousin´s Wildwood Book, I will pay for it. I´ll pay for one from the last time they were there too. Let me know. Then when they have deals we can get multiple copies for all that were there. Yours too Jenny even though you had to go it alone. You did a great job on catching up on everything. Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...