The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Puerto Rico OR Park City...

So, Kyle and I are faced with a tough decision. A very difficult decision. Probably one of the most difficult decisions we will ever have to make in our lifetime. Do we take a graduation trip to Puerto Rico OR Park City? Please advise.

Here are the pros and cons of each.

Puerto Rico

  • Longer stay but not nearly enough time to see everything we would want to see (we would only be on the island for about 4 days and probably stay in the same city the whole time)
  • Kyle went on his mission there.
  • We have a babysitter but that is a long ways away from my kiddos...Tingeys, since you are our babysitters, we especially value your opinion.
  • More expensive--and we really do not have the funds to go crazy!
  • Great time to go because I am not pregnant--nice time to relax on the beach!
  • If we go to Puerto Rico we would not take a family vacation to California in September.
  • We have always wanted to take a trip here but we thought we would have more money and I would know more Spanish.
  • We don't have to pay for the flights.
  • Kyle would miss 4 days of work that he really should NOT miss.
  • We can stay in a decent place ON the beach!!
  • Long flight...lots of our time away spent on an airplane.

Park City

  • Close by our babysitter.
  • Can do more because it is cheaper--movies, musicals, alpine slide, zip line, hot air balloon, outlet shopping center....caramel apples.
  • Kyle only misses one day of work.
  • Stay in a nice condo right down town.
  • We are still in Utah...not much of a getaway, but it is beautiful!
  • We get to take a family trip to California in September (because Kyle will be able to take time off and we can use our Delta sky miles for this trip instead of Puerto Rico).
  • Short drive away.
  • I get to shop for clothes!
  • We probably won't get lost.


I am torn. But I am currently leaning in one direction but I would LOVE to know what you would do. Would you go on an exotic yet relatively short and limited fund trip to Puerto Rico? Or would you save your money for another Puerto Rico trip and go to Park City where Mormons can go a little crazy? What would you do?

30 comments:

Kyle said...

It is probably the toughest decision we'll ever have to make.

If only I knew which way Emily was leaning...

Em Russ said...

I'm the wrong Emily, but I think I'd go to Puerto Rico... I mean seriously, when will you get the chance again? My vote, BE CRAZY and go for it!!

Mandy said...

I definitely vote PR. Go exotic - you've been a starving student for 2 years. Be a little wild. Park City will be just down the road for future visits. And California would be fun, but you can always go there, too. Yeah, that's my vote. :)

Monique said...

DUH!!!! PR all the way!


Some of your cons against PR are wrong, anyway.

It is not more expensive. It's probably cheaper once you get there AND it's still the dollar.

Know more Spanish? You'll always find someone who speaks English. Plus, even if you did teach yourself some Spanish you'd never understand the accent, anyway.

Sigh, if you are crazy enough to let this one pass you by. . . Tim and I will take you sometime, with the kids, even.

Nat said...

I can see the dillema! Em, I think that our minds think way too much alike! I understand every one of those pros and cons and it is a tough decision! And since I am your babysitter for this fun trip and I have a heavy weigh on this voting thing, which could potentially sway you one way or another, I think I will have to say......... I am going to make you wait for my answer and see what a few more other people think!:) hahaha!! I will keep checking back often!

mad white woman said...

first of all, if this is the toughest decision you'll ever have to make, i'm JEALOUS! ha ha. anyway, i see your point and it is a tough decision, but my theory is who knows if the timing for pr will ever be good again? plus, isn't it easier to have a babysitter for two kids than three or four when you go far away? park city isn't going to go away. every time we've "splurged" a little, i've never looked back and thought man, we spent way too much, but i remember how good the memories were. :) good luck!

The Kelly Family said...

It looks like I'm the only one who thinks this so far, but I would probably be practical and go to Park City. If you go to Park City, you get 2 vacations this year instead of 1 and Kyle doesn't have to miss as much work, especially if he can't really afford to miss it. I know Park City isn't very exotic, but you will be getting a vacation away from the kids. And maybe in a few years when you are out of school and have more money, you could splurge in Puerto Rico. I don't know which one you are leaning toward, but that is probably what I would do.

Nanda said...

I would go Puerto Rico all the way!! Think how fun it would be to lounge on the beach with your hubby in a tropical paradise (with no kids)!! If I had the chance, I wouldn't think twice!!

Anonymous said...

puerto rico

no question

love ya

Melanie said...

I would choose Puerto Rico hands down!! Hey, I just noticed your comment about the vday card. My friend actually has a program that she uses to make cards, announcements etc. and she did it for me. Good luck with your decision!

Karena said...

I'm going to be boring and say Park City. If Kyle shouldn't miss work, then I wouldn't chance it. PR will always be there. As time goes by your finacial situation will get better. I would love to go to Europe, but I would hate to only go for a week on limited funds. Park City you could splurg and not feel guilty.
On the other hand, sometimes you do need to seize the opportunity, but it still needs to be wise.
When you make your decision, make sure you own it and have no regrets...either way...have fun.

Elizabeth said...

Puerto Rico - for sure. If you already have a babysitter all lined up, make the most of it and really get away.

Sounds like a blast. Go for it.

kim said...

I actually vote for Park City. I don't think this is the last chance you'll have to do big vacations--at least, I'm really hoping that the last 2 years of craziness are going to payoff with lots of exotic vacations ;) I'm also a little paranoid about leaving the country without my kids--we'll be in Mexico for one day of our grad. trip and I'm kind of worried about it.

Good luck and I agree that if this is the toughest decision you ever have to make, you are in for one awesome life!!! ;)

JLynn said...

Park City :)

Jill Hunt said...

If it were me I would definitely go to Puerto Rico! Even though your trip would be short, it would so be worth it because really you could drive up to Park City anytime. But that is just me. Probably because I have been NOWHERE in so long! Good luck deciding!

Lark said...

Puerto Rico of course!
Kyle will be working for the rest of his life...4 days is nothing.

Cheryl Anne said...

Wow, lots of opinions already, but I would go to Park City. I think its fun to be a tourist where you live! Go nuts! and enjoy an extra trip later in the summer. :)

Emily Widdison said...

I guess most people vote for Puerto Rico...I really love all the comments and I'm hoping to get more because it is making me think of things I didn't think of. I really want to be bold and go to Puerto Rico...I don't know what is holding me back. I am getting really bad headaches lately and because of my car accident I can't sit for very long (it is a 10 hour flight...and I am worried about my kids even though I have the best babysitter in the world watching them, and Kyle missing work for a start up company that really needs him, those are all things that are holding me back...but to actually be in a beach house ON the beach with no kids...why am I being held back??? ahhhhh!!!

Natalie said...

I vote for PR. Except I would make Kyle miss another week of work and stay longer. Probably not an option though. =)

Rindi said...

Okay, I guess I have to put my two bits in. At first I was going to say Park City for sure...but then, everyone else seems to think Puerto Rico! I have been to both places, actually. But that doesn't really help! What I was going to say is that we went to Hawaii once with free flights. And although it was a 6 day trip, two days were spent flying and traveling, ugh! We also had very limited funding. We had a lot of fun...but we both agreed we would NEVER do that again until we had the time and the money to do it right! It just seems ridiculous to fly all that way and spend all of that money and not stay for like ten days and do everything we would want to do!! It seems fun to just go exotic, but you know what? I think you'll get a chance to go to Puerto Rico again, and why not take your kids when they are older...they would love the beach and love seeing their dad's mission! My sister just went on a getaway to SLC (about a 30 mile getaway!) and they had the most fabulous three days. They did so many fun things, and loved the time alone together. I would kill for two days in my own city to just getaway! Plus, that much traveling isn't fun squeezed into such a short trip, you'll need a day to recover on both ends. Greg served his mission in Spain and we have actually been there already. On a splurge, spring break thing. And you know what? We both said we are definitely going back. There was so much more to see and do and spend money on! :) So, I don't think a quick trip to PR will necessarily check it off of your list of things to do! You'll probably want to go back anyway. My sister was with us in Spain and she was pretty stressed about being so far away from her little kids, too. Okay, that is my advice...take it or leave it! But, have fun!! I am so excited for you guys!

Rindi said...

Wow! I didn't realize I had so much to say about it...sorry! And Kyle: I am so proud of you! I miss you guys,
Love your favorite cousin, :)
Rindi

Emily Widdison said...

I just had to post this comment that my BROTHER posted on our family blog. Like how he signed his wife's name? AND I think he is making fun of me, what do you think?

Park City all the way. Puerto Rico is not a safe place as it is a very popular place for Al Queda higher ups to take holiday. Plus you will have to worry about things like sun burns and sand in the eyes. Traveler's diarrhea is a real drag too. Also with the struggling economy you dont want to be boosting another nations economy- they are like half american/half boricua I heard. Oh yeah and I did a search on those Tingey characters and they are wanted in Arkansas for running an illegal cat fighting ring. Not the type I would trust my children to. Anyway good luck with the decision sounds like it will be a difficult choice between scarring your childrens lives forever and a cold lemonade on the beach. Looking forward to seeing which one you choose. Love Lark.

JLynn said...

Em your brother Parker? is hiliarious! that comment was so funny! i totally think Park City. Sounds like the perfect lovers getaway trip to me! :)

Karena said...

Gavin wanted me to tell you that he also felt Park City was the wiser decision.

Kelli said...

I would definitely go PR but I will probably be in Utah forever so I can go to PC anytime.

Great job this morning! You are so cute. Thanks for putting that together for us my kids LOVED it!!

On a totally different note, I've kinda become paranoid lately about privacy...I don't really want to make our blog private, but I'm taking our last name off for a little added security. I just noticed that you have it on your links list, so if it's not too much trouble, could you possibly take it off? You can leave our first names and the link to our blog, just not our last name. Thanks!

Karena said...

If you get a chance to look at our blog sometime, I'd really like your comment on a post referring to Elden and his swim lessons.

Unknown said...

I am going to disagree with most of the other comments and vote for Park City...cheap vacations are no fun (and trust me, I've had a few if you need an example: went to Stockholm, Switzerland and stayed in a ghetto youth hostile hotel thing, ate cheap, gross food and froze as we walked around the city). You should to go Puerto Rico when you can REALLY have a good time and go crazy!

JLynn said...

are you going to post pictures of you dressed up as the easter bunny?? did you tell luke you were the easter bunny? sounds so fun!! i want to see some pictures!!! :) i think it's cute/funny too what kids get scared of! cache gets scared of electrical appliances. :) the blow dryer, vacuum, electric mixer...whenever i turn them on he turns the other way and crawls away real fast, and gets this nervous look on his face!

Monique said...

I just had Tim read this entry.

He says it looks like you already made your decision: You want to stay close to your kids.

Ashley Funk said...

I'm in the practical minority here. I vote for Park City. Why? Two vacations are better than one. Going all out for a couple days is more exciting than worrying about every dime the bigger trip is costing. Long days of travel require lots of recovery time (esp. for those of us with body aches...), which you won't have. Husbands who are stressed about work are not capable of relaxing--even if there is a beach! Plus, if you can't do Puerto Rico the way you really want to, you'll just want to go back again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...