We love family night. It is an instant success, according to Isaac, if there are treats and a good game of red light, green light. Tonight, however, ended in tears. We talked about President Gordon B. Hinckley, how he was our prophet, and how he died and went to heaven to be with his sweetheart and Heavenly Father. We did the lesson with the gloves (our bodies) and hands (our spirits) and got to the part where our gloves get really old and die and our hands float away to heaven. At this point, Isaac had to go potty so we sat in the kitchen waiting for him. Then we heard the sniffles, and then the sobs come from the bathroom. Isaac, pants still down, was crying "I don't want to get old. I don't want to die." I quickly hurried him back to the table. I told him he left too early and that our lesson wasn't done yet. Then we talked about resurrection. He felt much better. I have never been so thankful for resurrection as I was tonight!:)
I wanted to introduce the idea of death and resurrection early on in our kids' lives so that it wouldn't be a scary thing, that it would just be another part of life, but I think we did it a little too early for our little guy Ike...he just got out of bed and cried to his daddy...he still just doesn't want to die.
Monday, March 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
That is so sweet. We've been amazed at our 3 year-olds calmness about the whole thing--she really seems to be completely on board with resurrection and gets so excited about the idea of everything coming back to life--I'm not sure that death means much to her yet.
that is so sad and sweet all at the same time!! i think that's a good idea to start early.
Ohh, poor Isaac. That is such a hard thing for them to grasp. You guys are so good though to do such good family nights and stuff. Again another thing to look at you guys as a good example to us.
what a sweet story! Death is a hard thing to wrap your head around even if you're grown up! We lost one of our little friends when Lila was really young so we've been talking about it for a long time now. She brings it up almost every day. I too am grateful for the happy ending though. I can't imagine what I'd tell her if we didn't know about the resurrection and the gospel! Good intro to Easter too!
that must have been so heartbreaking to hear him crying in the bathroom! our fhe lesson last night had a delayed effect on grace -- probably because she was running around laughing and screaming through the whole thing. but it amazes me what kids pick up and focus on. she told me all seriously as she was brushing her teeth that "i want Heavenly Father to save me. i don't want the monster to get me. Jesus will save me."
its hard to know exactly how to teach certain gospel principles to little children!
Are you sure he wasn't just crying about getting old? I know I am. Cute story
Oh trauma. Isaac is so sweet. If it makes him feel better, I don't want to die either.
I remember when I was really little (maybe 4?) going into the kitchen late at night where my mom was washing dishes. I was crying and saying that I didn't want anyone to die. I remember my mom telling me about the resurrection. It's one of my earliest memories.
I love coming to you blog! Your "Life as a Slide Show" is so neat. :)
Post a Comment