This Thanksgiving we had people eat with us at OUR own home for the very first time! It was fun! My parents came to town and helped with the preparation for the big Turkey day. My dad's only job was to make my Grandma's special "Boston creams". These, I found, are very difficult to make. The first batch didn't turn out. They are supposed to be like a fudge, but they were just like caramel. Everyone was extremely disappointed so I thought I would recruit Kyle to help me with the next batch (my dad did the first one). My dad didn't take to this too well I don't think he could handle his failed attempt) so he jumped up and went to work on his second batch and it worked out great! You can see from the pictures how intense it was. We all took turns watching the candy thermometer and I had to stop watching because the pan almost boiled over (onto my newly cleaned stove) a few times. It was quite scary.
First batch...deemed unsuccessful.
My dad eating the Carmel.
Kyle helping with the second batch. Notice how close the bubbles are from flowing over the pan!
Everyone helping out.
The second batch is on the left and it tasted great. Funny thing was, overnight the 1st batch set up too! So, we ended up with 2 great batches. Yum!
The boys were very interested in cutting up the bird and they each took a turn helping Kyle.
Our table with our traditional turkey treat "baskets".
Luke and Isaac waiting for their grub. When we went around and asked what everyone was thankful for Isaac said "Luke" and Luke said "Jesus". I immediately thought, "I'm a good mom!"
I forgot to take a 6 month picture...and we're a little late here
getting a 7 month picture, but oh well. 7 1/2 is good enough.
We were so happy that Brian, Jill, Jill's mom and their new baby Cedric could join us. The more the merrier!
Isaac and Luke had so much fun jumping on the tramp with their Grandpa. I hated watching because my dad just sat in the middle of the tramp and let them jump all over him. I kept waiting for HIS tears to come, but he gave up being tough when they started to jump ON him.
Grandpa reading stories on Thanksgiving night.
Grandpa being grandpa.


7 comments:
Looks like you guys had a fun weekend.
Funny thing about those boston creams - I took a look at the recipe this year and thought, surely there is another tradition we can carry on, so I didn't make them. Good for you for making the attempt!
(love your thought about "I'm a good mom!" that was cute. you are a good mom.)
Ah, canding making... Our tradition is homemade almond roca, for some reason my mom always had a throw away batch and the second one was always perfect. Although I've learn that if it's raining or ABOUT to rain candy never comes out right. Something about the barometer... In Arizona I had perfect batches every time, here in Houston... about 10% of the time it works! Bummer...
How fun!
Good job on the Boston Creams :)
Look at that cute little tummy! What could possibly fit in there!
Oh, you are getting so close to your little girl. She will be soooo much fun! I love little girls (and little boys, too--who am I kidding?). I just love babies and wish I was as close as you are! By the way, could you send me your new address? rindi@netzero.net
Thanks so much,
Rindi
Wow, you look great for 7 1/2 months! You tall people have it so good, but then again...I don't know how you find maternity pants that fit when I have a hard time finding ones that aren't highwaters on me.
What a fun Thanksgiving. Was it fun hosting it? I can't wait until I can do that too!
I love what your boys were grateful for, you are a good mom!
Post a Comment