I think this book was just plain crazy.
I must admit, I did really enjoy the first book..second book was just pretty good...but the third one dragged on a little too much for me. I was excited for this 4th book for the end, I hate an unfinished story.
I think Stephanie Meyer is a vampire. A sex and blood thirsty vampire. But, that is just my opinion. Man, how many "pressed up against his silky body...my thirst for him could not be quenched" can you write about or read without going a little crazy!
I think this book was a little bit like mormon literary porn...maybe that is a little harsh, that is just me. And this is "young adult" worthy? What about all those teenage untamed desires?
Maybe you didn't have those feelings.
These books are fuel for you know what...and I'm not talking about the blood drinking part.
I won't even get into the blood thirsty child who bites her own mothers...
Sorry fans, I think she is nuts.
But I still like you.
I hope we can still be friends.
I don't know how long I'll keep this post up...I'm feeling bold right now,
but the chicken inside will cluck eventually.
I think Stephanie Meyer is a vampire. A sex and blood thirsty vampire. But, that is just my opinion. Man, how many "pressed up against his silky body...my thirst for him could not be quenched" can you write about or read without going a little crazy!
I think this book was a little bit like mormon literary porn...maybe that is a little harsh, that is just me. And this is "young adult" worthy? What about all those teenage untamed desires?
Maybe you didn't have those feelings.
These books are fuel for you know what...and I'm not talking about the blood drinking part.
I won't even get into the blood thirsty child who bites her own mothers...
Sorry fans, I think she is nuts.
But I still like you.
I hope we can still be friends.
I don't know how long I'll keep this post up...I'm feeling bold right now,
but the chicken inside will cluck eventually.


19 comments:
Don't chicken out! Just think about how many hours have been sucked out of the lives of innocent readers by vampires! Think of the children forced to watch hours of TV on end, or the husbands forced to do their best imitation of macaroni and cheese dinner!
I haven't read any of her books because there is something about vampires that I find disturbing. So I don't know what all the hype is about. But you are not the only person that I have heard say that about this book. So keep your opinion up. I think more people need to hear it. I know too many husbands and children like the ones Kyle just described.
I thought the third one was like literary throw up that didn't make any sense. And Bella was way too horny.
That's why I haven't read the fourth one. . . yet.
You are too funny Emily. That is what I like about you. Not afraid to state your opinion. I just finished reading "Breaking Dawn' and I had mixed feelings about it too. But since I had read the first three I had to read the ending. I have a hard time with Vampires so Paul was actually surprised that I read these books. But now it is time to move on.
Okay, so here is your very own mother with her comments. Way too much sexual inuendo and tension in books 2 and 3--not so much once they were married. The only really good ending would have been a way to cure the vampire curse. However, on the positive side, she did manage to tie up all the loose ends. And evil was thwarted if not completely conquered which is really all that is possible on the earth until Christ comes. The battle between imperfect beings and evil is ever with us and it is good to remember that we can still work together to thwart evil even though we are not all powerful and still developing our ability to destroy evil in the world. There was much to be admired in Bella And Edward's relationship that any relationship would benefit from: such as, Edward saw wonderful untapped strengths in Bella and was patient in helping her develop those strenths and talents; He had the self-discipline to curb desires and passions that were harmful to not only the one he loved but others as well; He showed that we don't have to give in to our baser instincts; He had the ability to learn from mistakes and allow Bella to make decisions she felt were right for her whether he agreed or not; (many women would appreciate that) He stuck to his decisions under pressure; Even Bella showed courage and learned from Edward's wisdom. Interesting that the strenghts that she had developed went on and were magnified in the her next life and made her transition easier and made her stronger and more useful. Yes, it certainly was a kinky story but if you have teen-age daughters and sons or young women that are reading these books, it is better to read them and be able to discuss what is positive rather than trashing them completely because you haven't read them and are not equipped to discuss the good along with the bad. Other good things, the family protecting each other and those they loved as well as their larger community. Without those underlying factors based on true principles of goodness, these books would not have been so successful. Better to have something good to discuss than nothing at all. Think of all the opportunities to discuss self-discipline and putting other's needs before your own. Anytime we can find anything in common to discuss with a teen-ager, it has to be at least a little bit of a good thing! (My so called literary review looking beyond the surface, kinky, story)
Your loving mother
I'll admit - I liked the first 3 (the 3rd being my least favorite) and I'm in the middle of the 4th. I like it but it's dragging a little. But I've been sucked in and will probably finish it this week. I do agree that the series really shouldn't be geared toward young readers. But, have you read The Host?? I really liked it. The clean, Stephanie Meyer style but the story line was a lot better. Less romance lust stuff (it's still there I'll admit) than Twilight series but good. You may want to read it - or not.
I haven't read any of them--for me, the more hype there is, the less I want to read/watch something. But it is refreshing to hear an opinion other than, "Oh my gosh! You haven't read them? You've got to just read the first few chapters and you'll be hooked!" Well, maybe I don't want to be hooked... anyway, thanks for sharing an honest opinion.
you crack me up. I'm a Jacob fan, so somehow the ending just didn't satisfy me. And I agree with the mormon porn idea... she didn't really come right out and say much, but it was implied there heavily. (And I have to add that Kyle's comment was hilarious!!)
I actually haven't read this book yet (It has been sitting on my bedside table the last few weeks) but I totally agree about all the previous books. I wouldn't let my daughters read this unless they were upper teens. Bella drives me nuts too. But I continue to read them because I want closure. I will be glad to have the last book done but I haven't been dying to read it yet.
You are hilarious.
Kyle is hilarious.
Your mother is hilarious.
I loved the book and all the other ones.
No worries, we're still friends.
I love it! I'm so glad you did a post about this (you've inspired me to post about this too). I think you make a strong, valid point. I'm undecided as to if I agree or not but I've heard a lot of people feel the same way you do. I have to confess though, the third book is by far my favorite in the series.
So . . . boy or girl?!?!?! Oh, and for the record, I have never read any of the books (and have no plans to). :) I do love to read though. But, even if I had, can you really discontinue a friendship over a book opinion?? Most certainly not with Emily!! Okay, I'm anxiously awaiting the news. Love, K
You're still my Friend because I haven't read any of these Books and I have no desire to : )
You can still be my friend, too! I liked the books and all, but my life does not revolve around them as much as with others! I found that I wasn't as disappointed when this one ended as I was with the others. I love Kyle's comment...Danny would agree! I also loved your mother's analysis of the book. She has a lot of good insight.
I finally read book 4. It was a nice tie up to the end, nothing amazing, maybe that's partially because I read spoilers first. I don't know. I think its silly that you would lose friends over opinions on a book. Its definitely not young adult in my opinion but that was set by the publishers, not the author. And this book had WAY less sexual innuendo than book 3. But the ending was anticlimactic to me.
I totally agree! I would not want my teenager to read this. One of the things that bugged me most is that she is LDS and wrote all this. What happened to "let virtue garnish thy thoughts"? I realize it may be tame by the world's standards ( ok so I haven't read any other YA books lately, so I really don't know), but I really felt like she was not setting a good example for what we believe in.
I admit that Stephenie Meyer is a compelling storyteller, and I agree that there was too much sexual tension. I am happy that Bella and Edward wait, but I still thought it was too much before hand.
I read them all and liked them all. Twilight was my favorite. Bella gets annoying. Stephanie wanted to put an age warning on the book of 16 and up her publisher said no. I have no hard feelings towards anyone for not liking or liking the book.
I'm with you Em! Read the first one and I was done. I heard our ward book club was hillarious b/c they were seriously arguing about who they like more, Edward or Jacob. What bothered me was the intentional use of language and sexiness to sell books. It wasn't needed and I wish so many people wouldn't glorify the books.
Post a Comment