Can you believe that I have NEVER made homemade mac 'n cheese? Well, I decided to try it out this week. I searched a ton of recipes and found 2 that bragged about being the best that were basically the same recipe so I went with this one. I only used a little over 2 cups of cheese and it was SOOO cheesy. I would not recommend doing the full 3 cups unless you are a cheese-a-holic. Next time I might even do a little less cheese. So yummy. Next time I'm also going to try the "melt" blend of cheese---I think it has 2 different kinds of cheddar (including white cheddar) and monteray jack cheese, I think it would be yummy in this recipe.
Here it is!
(I forgot where I go this recipe, but I'm pretty sure it was on one of the recipe links I have on my blog)
adapted from The Best Skillet Recipes
3 1/2 cups water, plus extra if needed
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
12 ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I used 2 drops of tabasco sauce insead--this was in the other recipe)
6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
Ground black pepper to taste
Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened, 9 to 12 minutes.
Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Off the heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Ham and Pea Variation
Follow the recipe, adding 4 ounces deli-style baked ham, diced medium, and 1/2 cup frozen peas to the skillet with the cornstarch mixture in step 2.


3 comments:
What an interesting recipe. Once I did a baked mac n cheese recipe, but I didn't like it at all.
The way I do it is very simple and the kids just eat it up. I cook the pasta. Drain it. Throw it back in the pan with 2 or 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter and toss it so it gets all melted. Then I pour in some milk. Then I put in two or three handfuls of the shredded Mexican cheese blend from Costco (or any shredded cheese mix that has both cheddar and jack) and mix it all up over low heat so it gets melty. Then I add some salt and if it's too sticky I add more milk. And if it's not cheesy enough I add more cheese. And so on. It's best if it's on the saucy side because it thickens up. The kids also like it with chopped up cooked broccoli mixed in. The only time the kids have ever eaten boxed max n cheese is at friends' houses and they don't like it much.
Anyhow that's just the way I do it. One day I'll have to try this recipe and see how it goes over with the kiddos. It's good that you're sticking to your revolutionary Wednesdays. I enjoy seeing what you try.
I forgot to post that this mac 'n cheese was delicious and that both my kids ate it!
WHAT ! You have never made homemade Mac N Cheese ? I remember Tyler made it for me while we were engaged. I love it !
Post a Comment