The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Musical Icecreamical

Something that I enjoy doing is playing with the kids in the neighborhood. I started doing a (free) music class in my last neighborhood. I started doing this because Isaac and Luke LOVE friends and LOVE music. I'm not very musically talented, but I do know how to be silly, so most kids don't mind that I can't really sing. Since I have decided to continue doing it in this neighborhood, I have become a little more invested in my "program" and have spent many hours preparing fun things for the kids to sing. I save most everything I do so that I have less work to do for the next year. The first year I did it I had 8-10 kids coming each week. The kids range from 3-6 years old (I'm contemplating making 2 classes next time). This year I had anywhere from 10-14 kids show up each week. We sing and dance the first 20 minutes or so and then play play play until the hour is over and the parents come. We ended this year with 18 kids performing in our icecreamical musical--our final performance that ends with a big ice cream party. I talk this up with the kids starting in January so they could hardly wait and asked me almost every week if it was time for their ice cream party. Well, we finally did it and they did awesome! Good job kiddos!
Most people are surprised that I do this for free. But look at those faces? That's enough money for me! (and really I have NO "training" whatsoever:) I don't think I would enjoy it near as much if I did it for money...it would be come a job, something that I HAD to do. I enjoy the fun relationships that I get with each one of these kiddos! They are all so adorable and have the cutest personalities that really come out when they sing. I love it! I also love that I have more friends than anyone on the block--it doesn't matter to me that they are 3 feet tall:)
I hope I can always do something like this. I'll have to evaluate the chaos in my life each year but so far, I seem to be more organized when I am involved with things like this. It will be nice to have a music break this summer, but I will be starting back up in the fall. Unfortunately, My sweet tooth will be charging tuition--a bag of candy from each student!! (actually they are for the treats we use all year:)

Singing is always more fun when you get to make a mad dash to the icecream table afterwards!

(I don't want this post to sound like I'm bragging, I just wanted to write about something I enjoy doing since this blog is also a sort of family journal)

15 comments:

Erin said...

Way fun you are too cute!

Unknown said...

Wow, way too ambitious for me - if I were you, I'd definitely be tooting my own horn. You deserve it!

Fellars Family said...

Love it! You are such a fun mom.

Poppy said...

I can't believe you did that without us! Just one more reason we need to be neighbors...when are you moving to NM???

Kami Milliron said...

What a great idea and that is so awesome of you to do it for free. I would LOVE to get Douglas into something like that, but most everyone else charges a ton. Good for you for allowing these kids to be able to have this experience : )

Cori said...

Landon loved coming to "music class". That is awesome that you are doing it in your new neighborhood. If we lived closer we would definitely still come!

Mike and Kari said...

Holy guacamole, Emily! You are such a fun mom!

Becky J. said...

That's awesome you did this again, Emily. I was sad Sophie wasn't old enough to be in it last year, and now we live too far away for her to participate. Maybe I'll just have to start one of my own down here! You are so fun and creative and I know you make that a blast for those kids who will always cherish the memories they make singing.

Alicia said...

That is awesome!! I bet you are very popular in the neighborhood, not with just the kids but the parents as well. Not many people are willing to do something like that for free! I wish I lived in your neighborhood. :)

Em Russ said...

Please tell me you posted the last picture so that we could glimpse the AWESOMENESS that is the orange/red and blue mohawk on that kid... It's almost as awesome as you are. Almost. I don't know how you have the energy for all the stuff you do, but I sure wish we lived in your neighborhood (for ALL kinds of reasons!)

mad white woman said...

Bragger! I think you're awesome Emily. I love this idea and would totally do it if I were as cool as you... maybe when I grow up. Or maybe I'll just be sure to live by you. :)

Nat said...

It's times like these that I wish I had my Emily Widdison in my neighborhood!! You are so great to do this! When we getting together again?

seven smiles said...

and that's why you're favorite aunt emily

:)

Stacie Robinson said...

That is so cool! you are the coolest on the block.

JLynn said...

I'll send Cache over next year, k?! he sings and dances around the house all day everyday, he'd love to sing and dance with you too.

you've always had such a gift with kids. you're awesome for using that gift to help and teach others. i've always known you to be cool like that. ;) way to go, Em! Oh and Isaac is a very handsome graduate. Congrats Isaac!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...