The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

R.W. #3 "Magic Soup"


FIRE ROASTED CREAMY TOMATO BISQUE

(time: about 30-35 minutes)

1 Tbs olive oil

1/3 onion, minced

1/2 c carrots, minced

1 tsp minced garlic

3 Tbs flour

4 c chicken or vegetable broth

2 (14.5 oz) cans fire-roasted tomatoes (slightly drained)

2 Tbs tomato paste

1 tsp sugar

2 bay leaves

2 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 c cream

salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook for four minutes, then stir in flour over low heat. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, bay leaves, basil, and crushed red pepper flakes. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaves. In a blender, carefully puree half the soup. Optional: strain soup, pressing through a sieve. (I did this.) Repeat process with other half of soup. Return all soup to pot, stir in cream and season with salt and pepper; gently heat soup to desired temperature. Serve over homemade garlic Parmesan croutons.

"Homemade croutons are easy. The key is to using good, quality day old bread. (I used french bread and it was great!)

Cut into 1/2 inch cubes in in large bowl, toss with a little olive oil, garlic salt, dried basil leaves, and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Next in large sauce pan, lightly toast.

Then, transfer to baking sheet and bake in 300 degree oven for approximately 18 minutes, giving a good shake or stir half way through baking.

Cool and store in air tight container."

I got this recipe (and pictures) from my sister...She calls it magic soup because her kids actually eat it and love it! The only thing I did differently was that I didn't have to press my soup through a sieve. I think my blender is just really strong because after I blended it up I put mine through a sieve (or what I like to call a spaghetti strainer) and it went right through...not one single chunk. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I HATE tomatoes. However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this soup. Reminds me a little of the soup at Paradise Bakery but has a little more spice and kick to it and absolutely no chunks. I actually like the carrot pieces in the Paradise bakery version, but I don't like tomato chunks, so I decided to go ahead and puree it in the blender instead of only doing one half of the soup that way and then leaving the other half chunky...one version you could do if you want.

The best part about doing this recipe was that I realized how easy it was to make croutons. Kyle LOVED them and now I think I will make a bunch to put on our salads as well. So delicious and so easy!!

3 comments:

Sabrina O'Malley said...

Thank you for the ideas. I have been feeling in a rut lately with my cooking.

I have had fun reading back through a few of your posts. I think my favorite was watching Luke fill up the bathtub lol. So adorable!

Jessica said...

i really am loving your wednesday recipes. i think its such a great idea, because i feel like we rotate the same set of meals in our house, too.

this soup looks SOOOOOOOO good to me right now! i was craving tomato soup the other day, but didn't have a recipe, so i'll have to give this one a try. :)

seven smiles said...

glad you liked it!
;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...