The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Monday, October 06, 2008

Mommy, WOW!

I'm a BIG kid now! (no I'm not potty trained)
The time finally came. I don't know who was dreading it more, me or Luke. After dropping Isaac off at preschool, Luke and I picked up daddy at work and drove to Target. Luke walked into the store (like a big boy) clutching a bag full of binkys (a.k.a. pacifiers). We made our way to the toy section and slowly walked down each isle choosing a wonderful assortment of toys (actually, Luke held onto a toy guitar while mommy picked up toys and dumped them in the cart).

The last item I decided to throw in there was an assortment of small plastic animals. I thought, we already have a ton of these, but he plays with them everyday so I'll just add them to the pile. After we had a plethora of toys we lined the floor of an isle with them and let Luke loose. He walked straight to the animals...worried he might make the "wrong" choice I lead him down the isle to look at all his options. He really did a great job taking it all in and carefully studying each toy, and then quickly returned back to the animals. Daddy was so proud. He chose the smallest and cheapest toy.

I really imagined it going differently-- Luke walking up to the register and handing the bag to a cute little cashier lady who took the transaction for what it was--binky business. Instead we got an elderly man (at least 75) who looked very worried that we might actually try to pay for merchandise with pacifiers! I walked him (the cashier) through it though, and it all worked out okay. Luke still thinks the nice man at the store has his binkys.

Luke traded in this...
For these!
And sleeps with them everynight! The first night was a little rough. After a little bit of cuddling (which really did no good) I just told him we weren't doing this, that I was tired, that daddy was tired and that we were all going to bed. End of story. Goodnight. It worked! He hasn't asked for a binky since the first night (Friday night). So, I really like the 2 1/2 age for taking away the binky. At that age we traded Isaac and Luke toys for their binkys. They are at an age where I can reason with (and threaten:) them and they understand.

Luke really does love his bazillion plastic animals. Right now, as I type, he is playing with them.

PROOF
He has already asked if he can be a farmer when he grows up.
No, this is not all of them. This is about 1/3 of them.

Don't tell Luke,
but I will miss the binky-- it made my life a tad bit easier.
It was a nice little plug. So until next time,
farewell little rubber stopper.

10 comments:

Mandy said...

What a fun idea! Ryleigh is going to say goodbye to her binkies after finals in December. :( Sad to lose my baby, but exciting that she's growing up.

Unknown said...

My boys are a 1 1/2 and I'm no where near getting rid of the binky! 2 1/2 sounds good to me and I like your "trade."

Lynette Callister said...

What a good mommy. My kids are definately binky kids!! But I like it too much and let them go till 3-ish, with rules though.
:0.
And I totally forgot about Singing Wednesday, oops.

Kami Milliron said...

We just broke Douglas of his sippy cup at bed time and had to do basically the same thing. We just stopped giving it to him and told him he was a big Boy. It took him a night or two to get used to it, but he goes right to sleep without it now.

Oh these changes seem like nothing, but they are so life changing - our Babies aren't Babies anymore !

Karena said...

Just be thankful that it was only a pacifier. Bennett sucked his thumb for over 2 1/2 years. Most would say that that's not too bad, but he sucked it so much and so hard that his mouth was getting WAY messed up. Pacifiers are the way to go!

Poppy said...

Yeah for Luke and yeah for Mommy!! I have no idea or plans to deal with the thumb. I won't even think about it until after the baby gets here. Waaay after! Cute Lukey!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

YES- go get those onesies!! To die for huh?! If you only knew how small those 0-3 month clothes were.AWWHHHH...so cute. (like you DON'T know!)
Okay seriously I think sleeping props are the cutest for little kids. I love how they have little 'comforts' to help them get to sleep in an excited way. I see nothing wrong with them at all. Now...the binki?? Too bad there's a time limit on that one.
Your son wants to be a farmer eh? How do you feel about that?! haha. that is seriously too cute!

the waites said...

ok I love this post b/c I am feeling like Myles is wanting his passi more and more as he gets older. When should I pull the plug?? I love when he has it because thats the only time he will cuddle with me...ugghh!!

Becky J. said...

What a brilliant way to do it! I've heard you either take away binks at 18 months or you have to wait till they're 4 so it's great to know you can do it at 2 1/2. You know, in case I ever get a paci-kid. Avery just might be the one.

seven smiles said...

Good job,
Congratulations!

{Do you remember throwing your pink pas in the ocean in Ventura?

I do.}

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...