The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Sunday, July 08, 2012

I prayed this day would never come.



Luke placed a small mess of golden curls in my hand the other day and with a disappointed voice announced that Ruby had cut her hair.  I stared in disbelief and horror as my fingers felt the soft curls---and then let out a sigh of relief when I discovered that they were NOT human curls!!  Poor, poor, soft Suzie.  Ruby said, "I had to cut her hair.  I didn't want it to get too long."  I've had this doll since I was about 2.  The sound box is full of soft sounds (hence her name "Suzie Soft Sounds") and has cute life-like baby noises that are not annoying. Although she is triggered by movement, and even if you just walk by her, if she senses you, she starts to coo and babble and she has scared more than one house visitor into thinking there was a lost child somewhere nearby.  I'm still praying that the day never comes when Ruby takes scissors to her own hair.  I think I will be getting her hair cut soon...because we don't want it to get too long.

Suzie in 1984
  
Suzie Today

 I have done poorly this year with our family journal and all of my children's journals too!  After reading an article in this months Ensign about being in the middle, I feel inspired to do better!  I really would like to take time to write about all our family memories--some fun, and some not so fun.  I know our children will enjoy reading about their own family history in the years to come, and I know I won't remember it if I don't write it down!

I've decided to do one post a day for the next few weeks so that I can catch up.  I've going to keep them short and sweet (if I can) so that I can still be a mom too!

Tomorrow I will start with the End of April and I will see how far I get in the next month.  

We hope you had a Happy 4th of July!  We went to to breakfast at Kneaders, went to a "beach", and to Ikea and ended with a BBQ and then watched fireworks in the sky.  We had a great day with our little family.  The best quote goes to Luke.  "WOAH!  That Firework was so big, it made me open my mouth!"  We have quoted him several times since.

(you can't see Isaac's shirt but it is a recycled Old Navy Flag shirt from my 16 year old nephew.  Oliver is wearing Isaac's Old Navy Flag shirt from 2005.  Lucky duck Luke got a new shirt--didn't already have one his size to recycle).  For some reason, these shirts are my favorite ones to use as hand-me-downs--I love seeing all the different years printed on them. Ruby needs to use an old one too--but that would have meant rummaging through all the boys clothes and who has the energy or time to do that!!?!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. U r still in saratoga springs right? Contemplating doing the triathlon in aug there... would u be interested? Would be fun to meet up. Nic kesten
Email me wms13@hotmail.com

mad white woman said...

Oh my goodness. My children don't even have luscious curly locks and I would be SO annoyed if they cut their hair. (Well, I'm obviously only talking about Clara since Hazel doesn't really have any hair). Glad it was just the doll. And wow that you still have a doll from your childhood.

Erin said...

love the picture of you a "suzie" I have been meaning to call and come visit so in case it takes me another month to call...know I miss you :)

Jessica said...

i hope no one ever cuts their real hair!!! i've had ethan cut grace's and grace cut sophie's and sophie cut jane's. thankfully if jane ever cuts alex's hair it won't be a big deal because he's a boy and he's still practically bald anyway! haha. it really IS fun to be able to read back on family memories in the blog. it's pretty `much the main reason i blog these days. :)

Karena said...

I know what you mean about being in the middle. I have pictures from a couple months ago and was surprised that I was already forgetting details. I need to keep up with the blogging because it's the only journal my kids will ever get. I really need to get them into book form sometime too. I need to quit waiting for the big moments.

Can't wait to see you guys! Playdates, here we come :-)!

seven smiles said...

aw, soft suzie...way to take one for the team. glad it wasn't ruby's hair.

ps-I miss that gate...

Liesl Shurtliff said...

Oh, Poor Suzie! I cut so many dolls' hair when I was little, the worst being my mother's antique doll. She was horrified! I was a little scissor happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...