The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Brave Baby


Luke decided he wanted to take a trip to the emergency room tonight. He was holding a vacuum cleaner attachment in his mouth (like a trumpet) and was assisted to the floor by his big brother where he sliced open his lip. I should have taken a before picture but of course that was the last thing I was thinking about. We have never had to take our kids to the emergency room and I hope we never go back but all in all it wasn't that bad. We were lucky enough to get a slow night and my uncle John is a nurse at the children's hospital we went to so he met us there and helped out with my nerves and took care of Isaac for us. We were in and out in 1 1/2 hours. Luke absolutely hated being held down by 3 adults. I stood at a safe distance quietly crying. After he screamed his little heart out, he was so exhausted he became completely quiet and let them finish the last couple of stitches without protest. I really do not want him to have a huge scar. The doctors told me that the SUN is the worst enemy for scars....so hats and lots of sunscreen for at least 6 months...plus all that vitamin E that they told me didn't really help all that much, couldn't hurt so we will be using that too. I am so proud of Luke, he really was so brave and has been happy for the most part. When I was crying on the way to the hospital, Isaac said, "mommmy, don't cry, moms don't cry, only babies cry." Comforting words from a 3 year old.

13 comments:

Nat said...

Poor Poor Lukey!! It's so awful when your kids get hurt. I'm glad he was so brave. Gotta love those battle wounds!

Becky J. said...

Brave Mom! He won't probably remember that, but you will! Way to get through your first trip and may it be your last ever (it is possible--my mom, who had 4 boys and 2 girls, was commenting the other day that she never once had to take one of her children to the emergency room.) I hope my children will be just as not accident prone as we seemed to have been, but with Joseph-broke-every-bone-in-my-body as my hubby, I doubt it'll happen. I hope it won't leave a scar either, but look at what Harrison Ford's facial scar has done for him! :)

mad white woman said...

sad face! i dread that experience. and just so you know, i SWEAR by vitamin e. :) i used to have scars from scabs from my cold sores and after they healed, i would put straight vitamin e on them at night and i have not more scars.

Beka said...

i'm glad he's ok, your such a good mom!

JLynn said...

oh em, poor lukey lou! he is such a sweetheart, i'm sorry luke had to go through that pain of stitches on his mouth, i bet he will be so uncomfortable eating for awhile and such, ohhh and you too em, you are such a good mommy, i don't know what's worse, seeing your baby boy scream in pain while getting stitches or you feeling his pain and having to watch! wish i was there to give hugs! hope lukey heals fast and isn't too uncomfortable! hope you all make it back safely to provo....love you so much and already miss you knowing you won't be in the co anymore.

Monique said...

I think that comes with the territory of having boys.

I'll be praying that a scar doesn't form, but if it does it'll give him character. Later he can tell people he got into a bar fight or something. . .

Kami Milliron said...

Isn't it interesting how as a Mom, we worry so much about our children. But nothing phases them and they're so confused when we have a breakdown when they hurt themselves. They're just having fun while giving us a heart attack ! I'm happy that Luke is okay.

Lydia said...

That's so sad :( I hope the both of you heel fast

Sidney said...

I hate stitches, I remember those heart wrenching scenes too well. I remember Candice saying "Please I'll be good Mommy" like she thought I was punishing her by bringing her to this torture chamber. You just wonder what is going on in their little minds as you stand by while these stangers hold them down and poke them. Rachel had stitches at 18Mo.( a baseball bat to head thanks to Candice) and while bathing her she hit her head and popped them open. I handed her to Bryon and said "nope, I'm not even going this time," I highly recommend handing this task to Dads!

Lisa said...

Poor little guy, I hope he's healing up quick. The mouth is kind of a hard place to have stitches huh! He is adorable by the way.

Jessica said...

Well that stinks. I have already had to trips to the urgent care for jp he had stitches twice. It isnt fun sitting their watching them cry for you to help them. it was hard. But after a couple of hours they are back to their selves, at least jp was. Right when we got home from the urgent care he back playing on the toy that he got hurt on.

the waites said...

oh... so sad I dont want want that experience!

Maren said...

poor kid. i hated being at the hospital with Brynlee when she broke her leg. it is awful and see your child in pain huh? glad everything is good now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...