
I have.
But today it was different.
Nobody was there to greet us and tell us what to clean...so we did our best to remember what we did in the last church building and did that plus a little extra.
When we were done we were exhausted but feeling pretty good.
Under and behind the toilets were DISGUSTING.
The benches looked liked they hadn't been vacuumed in MONTHS.
and the nice rocking and swivel chairs in the mother's lounge were dusty and gross.
Everything looked much better when we finished.
When we got home I told my neighbor that we never got that reminder phone call from her hubby (jokingly telling her that it was a GOOD thing we remembered all on our own). Then I told her what we cleaned.
Then she said the unthinkable.
"oh um, you didn't need to clean the bathrooms or vacuum."
OOps.
What a waste.
And a million other negative thoughts ran through my mind.
Until my husband lovingly reminded me that we still did a good thing.
and told me a story that President Eyring once told about his dad:
"Now you have to know a little bit about my father. His name was Henry Eyring, like mine. He had done some of the things students of this university are preparing to be able to do. His work in chemistry was substantial enough to bring the honors some of you will someday have, but he was still a member of a ward of the Church with his duty to do. To appreciate this story, you have to realize that it occurred when he was nearly eighty and had bone cancer. He had bone cancer so badly in his hips that he could hardly move. The pain was great. Dad was the senior high councilor in his stake with the responsibility for the welfare farm. An assignment was given to weed a field of onions, so Dad assigned himself to go work on the farm.
Dad never told me how hard it was, but I have met several people who were with him that day. I talked to one of them on the phone the other night to check the story. The one I talked to said that he was weeding in the row next to Dad through much of the day. He told me the same thing that others who were there that day have told me. He said that the pain was so great that Dad was pulling himself along on his stomach with his elbows. He couldn't kneel. The pain was too great for him to kneel. Everyone who has talked to me has remarked how Dad smiled, and laughed, and talked happily with them as they worked in that field of onions.
Now, this is the joke Dad told me on himself, afterward. He said he was there at the end of the day. After all the work was finished and the onions were all weeded, someone asked him, "Henry, good heavens! You didn't pull those weeds, did you? Those weeds were sprayed two days ago, and they were going to die anyway."
Dad just roared. He thought that was the funniest thing. He thought it was a great joke on himself. He had worked through the day in the wrong weeds. They had been sprayed and would have died anyway.
When Dad told me this story, I knew how tough it was. So I said to him, "Dad, how could you make a joke out of that? How could you take it so pleasantly?"
He said something to me that I will never forget, and I hope you won't. He said, "Hal, I wasn't there for the weeds."
Now, you'll be in an onion patch much of your life. So will I. It will be hard to see the powers of heaven magnifying us or our efforts. It may even be hard to see our work being of any value at all. And sometimes our work won't go well.
But you didn't come for the weeds. You came for the Savior. And if you pray, and if you choose to be clean, and if you choose to follow God's servants, you will be able to work and wait long enough to bring down the powers of heaven."
I admit that President Erying's story is much better than mine...and He is also a much better person that me. Because although we did do a good thing...and now the church looks much better...I am still
Grumbling
just a little
because now I have to clean my own house from top to bottom.
Ruby didn't mind cleaning the church one bit.She wants to remind you that we will be going private tomorrow (hopefully) and if you want an invite to remember to leave your e-mail!!


17 comments:
lindseyramage@gmail.com
please let me see into your life, I would be lost without reading your blog every few days!!
That story about E. Eyring's dad is one of my all-time favorites. Just think how many other people would allow something like that to make them so offended that they never came back to church again. But instead he laughed at himself about it. I love that "I wasn't there for the weeds." Good on you for cleaning that church so well! I bet you'll appreciate Sacrament Meeting so much more tomorrow because of it.
Good info about going private from my friend:
Okay...this GOING PRIVATE situation has forced me to have to actually figure details out on Blogger...something I would have never taken the time to figure out before! I thought I'd share a couple tricks I've learned, in case some of you need to know! Thanks for everyone's help and pointers on how to figure these things out!!
1. HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR BLOG PRIVATE, BUT STILL KEEP YOUR BLOG? (just like I did) It takes about 60 seconds...SUPER EASY.
Log onto your own blog. Then you go into SETTINGS, then the PUBLISHING tab. In there change your Blog Spot Address to something different. Anything that you want.
Then quickly create a new blog with your old address.
The new address will have all of your old posts. The old address will have nothing.
Change the NEW address (that has all of your old stuff) to a private blog.
And add a post to the OLD address stating that you are now private and if you want to be invited to view the blog to send you and email.
2. HOW CAN YOU INVITE MORE PEOPLE TO YOUR BLOG IF YOU RUN OUT OF INVITATIONS?
First, do you have another email account? You will need one. Make sure you invite yourself (your other email account self) to your blog. Open the email, and FORWARD that invite email to everyone else who wants to be invited. I seriously have no clue how it works but it will then create another list of readers on your PERMISSIONS page. You will see it all unfold when you actually do it.
Don't forget to add me : ) That is so crummy that you cleaned way more than was needed. But you're husband is right - you did a good thing for the church and now it looks much better.
me me me! add me to the list.
wms13@hotmail.com
i will ck out that book you mentioned. thanks!
Oh, I had never heard that story before! Thank you. I love your experience and his story as well. That will be my new motto. "I wasn't there for the onions."
How can I not have heard that Elder Eyring story before??? I definitely needed to hear it!
YES please add us...za1205@yahoo.com
What a great story. Sorry about the church cleaning, but sounds like you guys did a great deed cause it probably needed it! Ruby is just too cute in that picture!
I can't remember if I already said I want an invite or not, but I do. I love Ruby's bows. What do you use for the actual headband part? They are thinner than the ones I have and I like that.
I think you have my email. Let me know.
I love reading your blog, so count me in. laraine@eddfam.com
Okay-
I feel TOTALLY guilty now. It was our family's turn to clean the church this weekend too. Benjamin quickly told me about it on Thursday after he got the e-mail, but he was going to be gone on the Scout campout- so I'd be there cleaning alone w/ 3 little boys :( Probably not be the best job. Anyways, I forgot. LUckily, there were plenty of other cleaners & it still got cleaned. So, we apologized and we'll be on the schedule for next time- and I'll remember your stories :) Thanks for showing us up ;0)
Great way to make lemonade out of those lemons! (Or onion juice out of the onions?)
Ruby looks sooo cute and so you in this picture. Aww.
Aww-that stinks you had to clean urinals. Yucky. Icky as Cache says. Eww-stinky and he holds his nose. Ugh, you'll be blessed I'm sure for cleaning your church. That's a lot of service.
Thanks for sharing your experience and great story Emily! It made me smile! Yes, things are going great. Lots of hard work and time but isn't that how it goes??:) How are things going on your end? Little Ruby is a doll!
Such great stories - both the bathroom-cleaning and the weed-pulling!
Post a Comment