The Party Van and Us

The Party Van and Us

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Love notes continued

Love note #2
Kyle's cool and bold redeeming quality

October 28, 2001
Literally he redeemed himself nicely after his horrible mistake of ignoring the girl of his dreams. He redeemed himself by being bold and inviting himself to a family dinner at my brothers house. It was really quite uncomfortable for me. I was about to leave to go pick up my sister-in-law's sister to go to our brother and sisters house for Sunday dinner when I heard a knock on our door. It was Kyle and his roommate Trevor. They wanted to check out my roomie's new car (Kyle claimed he just came along with Trevor for a chance to see me). Fortunately for me, Cami wasn't home so they were stuck at my front door looking ridiculous as they tried to persaude me it would be a great day to take them on a drive up the canyon so they could "read" in the beauty of nature. WHAT? Okay, sounds great, but I am going to a FAMILY dinner. They continued to persist. I continued to tell them I really was busy and was late for dinner. They said, fine, we'll come with you and started to walk with me. I was so shocked I had no reply--and just started to think, how will I explain this one to my brother? Um, hi, thanks for inviting me for dinner, who are these guys? Um, I really don't know them very well but they invited themselves. My brother was cool about it, but really, who feels comfortable doing something like this? I guess, someone as cool as Kyle. After dinner (of course they didn't eat, just sat there making polite chit chat) we drove up the canyon and got out and walked around. No one did any reading. It was just me there walking around with my future husband and his roommate. It was a nice but strange walk. I went home confused. Was he really that cool and bold (or intrusive, hA!)? Was he interested in me? Gosh, he was making me CRAZY and I was completely in-like with him and couldn't stop thinking about him.
and so...
I decided to be bold,
and cool?
I called him that night to ask him on a date for the next night and he said yes.
Little did he know that the only reason I asked him so last minute was because I had just found out I was supposed to bring a date to my brother's pumpkin carving party. And little did he know that I was going to ask David--but then that walk in the canyon changed my mind. Anyways, David was shorter than me.
From Left: Lark (my sis-in-law), Kyle, me, Ryan Jensen, Karen (former Arnett), and ??.

Little did I know that this was a HUGE pumpkin carving event with LOTS of family and old friends. NOT necessarily the right place to bring a first date. But we both survived.
Because we were cool.
He is still bold (when he needs to be) and very, very cool.

Love note #3
Kyle was crazy fun. He wasn't afraid to play.

Apparently he wasn't afraid to lose either.

November Doughnut eating contest: winner--Emily!
We all know I have a BIG mouth.
Beginning (and end) of our dancing days.
November Snow ball fight.
Started by Emily and her roommates.
Finished by Kyle and his roommates.
This is Kyle, with me in his loving arms, walking over to the dumpster to take out the trash. Ahhhh, young love. Sweet.
We really did have so much fun together and we still do, although it usually includes some midgets along for the ride. But sometimes, we get crazyand make pina coladas after the kids go to bed. He even throws berries in to spice things up. Crazy fun I tell you!!

Love note #4
Kyle was funny.

(He still is, but we are not talking about why I love him now, it is why I fell in love with him.)
Sometimes to the point of pulling-out-my-hair-frustrating-funny.
One example
**This.
and this.
Don't we look cute? I am so oblivious to the fact that he is ruining our picture. I didn't know he made these adorable faces until after I developed my film.
This picture was taken on his birthday, right after I announced I only had ONE picture left on my camera.
These pictures are an example of Kyle being funny. These are the days before the digital camera. The days after Thanksgiving and our first kiss. The days that I really wanted to get a "cute" picture of the guy I was falling more and more in-love with to show my family. He would smile, and then pull a face right before the click of the camera. SO frustrating but also pretty funny now that we can look back on it and appreciate it more:)

He continued to do it right up to the day before our wedding.
Kyle is still funny. For those of you who really know him, you know how funny he can truly be. Fortunately (for him:) he has replaced his non-photogenic humor for other,
more pleasing humor.
You still crack me up babe, and I love you!
...and thanks for smiling in our pictures.

**Kyle is also wearing MY sweater in this picture. He did this because I kinda stole his sweatshirt. Didn't you ever want to wear the sweatshirt of your boyfriend? Well, I always wanted to, but never got to! So one day I convinced him to take it off so he would be more comfortable, and then I hid it without him seeing me. He forgot it of course, which was the plan, and I wore it the next day, hoping he wouldn't see me. Well, he did, and he laughed. And he knew immediately why I had it on. Smart and Vain he was--but that is another love note.

7 comments:

Em Russ said...

Ok. These posts are cracking me up! I can't tell you how many pictures I have of Kyle making silly faces or how many times he has invited himself to stuff. Man, I miss that cousin of mine!

Vagabond Mother said...

Don't you feel so old that our college days were on real film? Oh, and we have a million kids.

Ryan looks SO YOUNG in that picture. That's funny that he was a part of that date.

Natalie said...

I know Lark!! We grew up in the same stake. We went to girls camp together. So she's married to your brother? What a small world.

Natalie said...

No, Brian was in Japan gathering data for his Walmart Japan field study. I was still here in Provo.

Definitely pass along my blog, e-mail and request for an invite to Lark. My maiden name was Durham and my e-mail is nataliedfischer at yahoo dot com.

Heather said...

this was all like...yesterday, yet its amazing how YOUNG you two look. its as if this was 20 years ago back when we were in college. how cute! i love all these pictures and memories

Ashley Funk said...

too funny! these posts are totally taking me back to the Riv and Kevin and my dating days--oh, wait, we weren't dating, but anyway...

i loved, loved the halloween pics. we tried to name everyone in the picture (unsuccessfull, but still fun).

i think it is great that you two picture-ruiners got together!

by the way, i would love to have a playdate with you and the kiddos sometime. give me a call!

CL said...

You know Karen? She and I were in the TR program together. I just went to her new house in Mapleton last week- her daughter turned 4. Did you know her husband is a professor at the Y now? Huh- small world. By the way, this is an awesome tradition! Good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...